The Thames Water Infrastructure Alliance (IA) is a 15-year partnership between Thames Water, Kier, Clancy Docwra, Morrison and Murphy.
TSS was brought in by Kier Clancy Docwra (KCD) in Q2 of Year 2 (of the first five year asset management period) to assist with the commercial management of their works within the IA. In the first year KCD had no commercial overview of the region. Large backlogs had developed in commercial workload and costs had spiraled.
Our specialist team undertook an initial review, and then provided a full re-forecast of the Year 2 project costs. We worked closely with operational teams to prepare, develop and implement a new delivery model, aiming to reduce the number of repair teams and plant while improving productivity and maintaining consistent delivery.
Following our initial Year 2 successes, we were asked to take the commercial lead in the consolidated regional management team for Year 3 and each subsequent year to the end of the framework.
Scope of Works
Our expert team of commercial managers and quantity surveyors provided:
- In-depth commercial review
- Budget forecasts
- Develop and help implement new delivery model
- Reporting including weekly KPI metrics and monthly reports
- Commercial Manager role in regional management team
- Implemented TSS’s F0CUS work management platform
The contract had been operating under a volatile cost and delivery model, resulting in poor performance and over-spends.
Using our experience in the water industry and expertise in commercial management, we led the commercial transformation. The new operating model is robust and sustainable, providing consistency and certainty for all parties.
- Year 2: operational delivery requirements met; spend reduced by £0.5m.
- Year 3: completed works increased by 1,221 jobs; spend reduced by £1.3m.
- Year 4 & 5: appointed as KCD Commercial Manager for reinstatement contract.
- Successful implementation of F0CUS software to manage payment applications and variations with full audit trail.
- Agreed Year 4 and Year 5 final account measures within one month of contract completion.
TSS have and continue to support the commercial management activity for the Infrastructure Alliance since inception and delivered significant reductions in cost through, effective commercial management, governance and controls as well as project specific cost reduction initiatives in relation to day to day services including but not limited to plant & vehicles, reinstatement services, sub contract labour and aggregates.
Thames Water Infrastructure Alliance