Amey Utility Services Ltd (AUSL) delivered the contract for Water Networks Repair and Maintenance and Meter Installation / Renewal for Dwr Cymru Welsh Water (DCWW) across the South Wales region.
Complex operational challenges and unfavourable contract terms had led to Amey making a cumulative substantial loss on the contract. We were brought in by Amey to turn the contract around.
Our commercial specialists completed an extensive investigation into the contract to identify the issues. We worked with DCWW, Amey and the supply chain to understand and resolve resourcing, planning and management issues.
With our experts leading contract negotiations, agreement was reached with DCWW, Amey and Amey’s supply chain on a mutually acceptable, sustainable and commercially viable solution.
We went on to provide an outsourced managed commercial service (MCS) to Amey and implemented our works management system, F0CUS.
Scope of Works
- Commercial analysis of 83 weeks of historic data, comprising 93,577 orders to establish a ‘baseline model’.
- Modelled resources, order volumes, service level agreements, initial bid position.
- Led negotiations to agree new contract terms.
- Implemented F0CUS system.
This was a complex contract with legacy supplier issues. Many challenges were overcome including a DCWW mindset of “anecdotal perceptions”. Our collaborative and evidence-based approach meant that all parties could agree “one version of the truth” and work together on the solution.
- Our commercial management and F0CUS software provided clarity in a level that DCWW or Amey had never previously achieved.
- The contract became commercially viable for Amey while delivering DCWW’s operational requirements and meeting stringent regulatory targets.
- Amey’s contract continued with minimal disputes and positive working relationships.
TSS focussed on our needs and were transparent throughout our dealings, by looking at the contract from their perspective and assembling a one version of the truth, providing clarity in a level that we have never previously achieved. Nick and the team always act with the upmost professionalism, the team were always available to assist with queries and always did so in a prompt manner.
Executive Director, Welsh Water